Sunday, May 11, 2014

Author Spotlight with Kelly Erickson

Author Spotlight with Kelly Erickson

Author Bio: 
Kelly lives in beautiful Oakland California with two cats, a big dog and a turtle, all of whom delight in demanding attention whenever she sits down to write. She writes all her first drafts with pen and paper. She loves pens. She does the New York Times crossword puzzles in pen. She has a pen collection. She can never get enough of pens. Oh, and did you know she likes pens? She also is addicted to needles--knitting needles, quilting needles, sewing needles, embroidery needles… But not syringes or tattoo needles.




100 Stories for Queensland





100 STORIES FOR QUEENSLAND has something for everyone, from slice of life to science fiction, fantasy to romance, crime to comedy, paranormal to literary fiction. Heart-warming, quirky, inspiring and funny, the stories between these covers will lift readers to higher ground.
All proceeds to the Queensland Premier’s Flood Appeal.







Zombie Addiction


This Halloween 2013 release of short stories by multiple authors is full of all things zombie. Authors you know and love, plus some new writers, will take you to the land of the walking dead.
Included are new POV's and beginning chapters of new series.
Authors who contributed to this collection are: C. M. Wright, S. Cu'Anam Policar, John Stagman, Lee Ryder, GB Banks, Dovey Mayali Cralk, Kelly J. Erickson, Timothy Benoit, Lizbeth Fallon, Mark Mackey, and Janiera Eldridge.
All proceeds from this story collection will go to help those affected by Orphan Diseases. More information about Orphan Diseases can be found at the links in the back of the book.

Excerpt from “The Heroes of Algorath”, a short story published in Zombie Addiction:
“Mom! That guy is eating Miss Scarlett’s face!”
I looked up from the book I was reading. “That woman!” I grumbled under my breath. She really needed to learn to shut her drapes when ‘entertaining’. “Come away from the window, Patrick.” Like my 4 year old would mind. I bookmarked my page and set my Nook back in my bag.
“He is! He’s eating her face!”
“It’s called kissing, dork-brat.” Jackie, already surly from missing the concert with her boyfriend, looked up from her video game long enough to stick her tongue out at her little brother. At 16, she rebelled at my rule that there would be only one television in the house, and it wouldn’t be in a bedroom. If she had her way, she would spend 24 hours a day slaying orcs or dragons or zombies or whatever the beast of the week was. When her report card came in last week, I told her no concert. I should have said no video game.
“I am NOT a dork-brat!”
“Quiet!” I shouted. I was about to pull Patrick from the window when I froze. There in my next door neighbor’s kitchen were two men. And they were indeed eating Scarlett’s face. “Z…Z…Z……” I couldn’t bring myself to say the word. I never thought they’d be here in Bransonville.
“Mom, you’re blocking the TV!”
But all I could do was stare at the carnage nest door and sputter. “Z…Z…Z…”
Jackie groaned. “MOM!” How she managed to string out a three letter word into six syllables was always a wonder. But it broke me out of my stuttering. “ZOMBIES!”
“Cool. Where?”
“See? I told you! I am not a dork-brat!”


Heart Attacks: A Valentine’s Day Anthology


It's Valentine's Day - a day to be pampered, loved, and most of all...Frightened To Death!
Spend your day of love with C. M. Wright, Tim Miller, Dovey Mayali Cralk, J.J. DiBenedetto,
Kelly J. Erickson, A.R. Von, Sandra Love & A. P. Bartels.
They promise to bring you closer to your loved one - as you cling to them for protection! They promise to bring you warmth - as you hide yourself under the covers from what's lurking in the darkness. They also promise to leave you panting, your body trembling, and your heart racing - from the horror between these sheets




Questions:
1.   When did you decide to write?
I was reading since before I can remember. In preschool, I used to read books to the other children. But by the time I was in first grade, I was nearly turned off of reading by Dick, Jane and their stupid dog, Spot. Until I saw a beautiful, huge old book in a yard sale. It took a whole week’s allowance, but I had to have it. And so I read Jules Verne’s 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea while all my classmates were reading “See Jane help Mom make the bed. See Dick help Dad wash the car.” That book opened up a whole new exciting world. I started making up my own science fiction stories after that. Because we did not have a television growing up, Mom thought it would ruin our brains, I wrote plays that my brother, sisters and neighbors would put on. I have been writing ever since.

2.   How did you come up with the idea of your newest book?
I was in the craft store, trying not to buy ALL the yarn, when I saw a display of little plastic fairy figurines. I started playing with them and a story emerged. I bought the fairies and went right home to write it. Girl Unseen, about a foundling who doesn’t know she is Fairy, will be released mid summer.

3.   What Genre do write?
I write for young people. I have written for preschoolers to high school age. My favorite age to write for is Middle school. Within that age level, I have written feel-good inspirational stories, terrifying science fiction, horror, romance… whatever strikes me at the time.
4.   Would you ever write with another author if asked?
I  collaborated with my nephew, Ryan, when he was 11 years old. That story was published in a local literary journal. With his permission, it will be included in my upcoming anthology of surprises, GASP!  I am currently collaborating with my daughter on a vampire, steam punk, romance, adventure novel.  I love co-writing with different people

5.   Who is your biggest inspiration?
My biggest inspiration comes from the kids I know. Especially my own. I also have a plethora of nieces and nephews. I have written most of them into one story or another.  I often dare them to give me several unrelated words or objects and I will try to write a story with all those elements in it.
6.   Who are some of your favorite authors?
My favorite author list changes with my moods, although there are a few who are always in the top 20 somewhere.
Patrick O’Scheen - I cannot say enough great things about his Chronicles of Marithe series and his Charles the Cat series is amazing.
Clive Cussler - I love the swashbuckling heroes and strong women who wrap them around their little fingers. Dirk Pitt, Juan Cabrillo, Isaac Bell,… He is one of the few authors where I will buy the hardback books as soon as thy are published.
Ann McCaffrey - she was the author who inspired me to continue to write science fiction when I was told that girls don’t do sci-fi.
Susan Griscom - Her characters are so REAL that I feel like they are friends, I laugh, cry, and even yell at them when they are about to do something stupid.
William Shakespeare - I love reading Shakespeare aloud, although my dog wonders what I’m doing. His plays have such a lyrical quality to them and they are so descriptive.  Except for Titus Andronicus. I never could get into that one.
7.   What genre do you like to read?
If it is legible, I’ll read it. If it isn’t, I’ll try. There isn’t much I DON’T read. As long as the story is compelling and the characters are fully fleshed out, it doesn’t matter to me what the genre is. Or even the language.  I have studied too much psychology, sociology and anthropology to accept a story where the characters don’t act in a logical manner. I do not like books that are just part of a serial. Each book in a series must have a conclusion. I absolutely hate cliffhangers or when the story just doesn’t end.

8.   What was the last book that you read?
I have several books going at one time. I am reading the Countermeasure series by Chris Almeida and Cecelia Aubry in the bedroom, I have Elley Arden’s Save My Soul in the library, Robyn Peterson’s Fashionably Dead series on my Kindle (SOOO Funny!) and James Patterson’s Alex Cross books on my Nook. I just finished Patrick O’Scheen’s next book, DANCER. All I can say is pick up Dreamer and Seer now! You HAVE to read Dancer!

9.   What are you working on?
GASP! An Anthology of Surprises will be coming out very soon, Although I don’t have a date yet. Followed by Girl Unseen. I have three books I am editing, but I think Butterfly’s Daughters will be the next one out. Hopefully sometime next winter. And I just started My Guitar Gently Weeps about a boy with mild autism who wants to join his brother’s garage band.


Fun Questions:
1.   Favorite Animal -- Turtles, followed closely by dogs and cats.
2.   Favorite Color -- GREEN! Any shade from pale seafoam to deep forest to olive drab.
3.   Favorite Food -- does chocolate count? Followed closely by coffee, tea, tacos and Brussels sprouts.
4.   Favorite Genre of Music -- instrumental ethnic music, Celtic or South American or Native American, or traditional Chinese or east Indian…
5.   Favorite Season -- Autumn. I love the smells, the crisp nights after hot days, the fruits and veggies that are in season like winter squash and apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment